Finding one's purpose in life.

Saturday 14 April 2018

Anime Review - Yuru Camp - Maximum Comfiness

Winter 2018 had a lot of surprises and the average scores for all the anime that season were higher than the average season. I will definitely be watching more of Winter 2018 anime than your normal season since I want to see what the hype for these better than average anime. Yuru Camp was one of them (Sora Yori mo Tori Basho is another one which I am currently watching), and the anime community (both Japanese and the rest of the world) loved how comfy Yuru Camp is, and I have to agree with them.

Yuru Camp is your typical slice-of-life anime on first glance, but what separates this anime from other slice-of-life anime is the characters, and how cute they are. It's cute girls going camping! Who doesn't love that? Yuru Camp doesn't have a plotline, but that's your typical slice-of-life requirement to let the story flow. However, the anime did have a sense of progression, where we see Rin (the experienced solo camper) becoming more open and wanting to camp with friends. We also see Rin influence Nadeshiko and I love how Episode 1 and Episode 12 starts and ends since they are essentially the same scene, but we see Rin in Episode 1 and Nadeshiko in Episode 12. The campers have recruited a young one to the guild! Otherwise, the plot just essentially shows mischievous camping fun between high school girls.

Ahhh the characters are all unique and interesting and all are extremely likable. The anime community seriously liked Rin, and I can see why. She's confident, she's smug and people probably like her because she likes to be alone so it's easier to relate to her. I too like to be a lone and enjoy what I love too, so I can relate to her. Nadeshiko is pretty cheeky too, making some of the funniest and cutest facial expressions I have seen in anime so far. There are too many cute facial expressions, and I definitely have to screenshot them and save them into a folder to look at whenever I am feeling down. Aoi is your essentially the "lewding" character, Chiaki is to satisfy your megane character and Ena feels more like a side character to be honest, but her unique trait is her dog and she also makes cute facial expressions with mr dog too. Nadeshiko's sister has also been the unique one in the family, being all serious and stuff, when compared to the derpy father and mother. I have also seen her being lewd frequently too since she's more of an older woman (fair enough). None of the character are hateable and the voice actors for these characters did a good job, making the characters likeable and cute.
The visuals are done very well too, especially the nighttime visuals. Maybe it's just me, but I really like nighttime and darkness IRL so that's why I love Yuru Camp more since there were a lot of nighttime scenes. Another cool aspect of the anime was the narrator's tips for camping like a recipe for one pot pasta, etc. was really interesting and a good tip for future campers.
Overall, Yuru Camp really has maximum comfiness - there was no point in the anime was I bored or uncomfy. Being a slice-of-life anime, it was surprising that there wasn't really any downtime in the anime, but perhaps the "downtime" was all the cute scenes so I was too satisfied in my watching experience that I didn't really care. And I am interested in a Season 2 for Yuru Camp, and this is highly possible since sales in Japan were relatively high. There's an OVA coming out soon so I will
definitely watch those. You won't lose anything by watching Yuru Camp and perhaps it might inspire you to go try out camping like many people have whilst/after watching the anime.

Score Summary (8.5/10):
Story: 7/10
Characters: 8/10
Art: 9/10
Sound: 9/10
Enjoyment: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment