Finding one's purpose in life.

Sunday 6 October 2019

Manga Review: Bougyaku no Kokekko (Absolute Letdown)

I don't usually read manga as regularly as I watch anime, but when I do, I usually binge read a completed series. Bougyaku no Kokekko was one of the manga that caught my attention, and since it was a horror manga, I took a chance with it without looking at the reviews before reading it. Unfortunately, Bougyaku no Kokekko has a cool concept, but the characters and story is terrible. 

Bougyaku no Kokekko involves characters that are set in a normal world, where adults are suddenly turned into monster chickens.  The story never explains why it happens and I wanted to know why it happens. I guess the shock factor is more important than explanation for the people involved in this manga. Without spoiling too much, our protagonists are a bunch of teenage and child orphans, who have to survive against the monster chickens. What I extremely dislike in this manga is how tense moments or climaxes are downplayed immediately as soon as they are resolved. By doing so, it results in disengagement of readers. 

What I somewhat dislike is another aspect of the story. Apparently the antagonist is breeding chickens and then making them forcefully impregnate human females to create "perfect humans". Whilst I feel disgusted in these scenes, I can understand that the author wanted to shock the readers. The conclusion of the series is also open-ended, but that is to be expected for apocalypse-like scenarios. However, the phenomenons behind the story (people turning into chicken when they become adults) were never explained. The art is one of the good aspects of this series, but the art can occasionally look sloppy or weird.
Overall, I would recommend readers from reading this series, since you aren't going to get anything meaningful in this series. However, if you want to experience the bad so that you can differentiate from the good, Bougyaku no Kokekko is not a long series. It is only 56 chapters long, and the chapters are 10 pages or more. Nevertheless, Bougyaku no Kokekko is a series I will definitely never go back, and it's a series where it is better to leave it buried.

Overall Score: (4/10)
Story: 3/10
Characters: 4/10
Art: 6/10
Enjoyment: 3/10

1 comment:

  1. Tense moments losing their impact due to immediate resolution is a common pitfall in storytelling, and it's unfortunate that it happens frequently in this manga.

    ReplyDelete