Finding one's purpose in life.

Friday 8 December 2017

Anime Review - Occultic Nine - Decent Premise But Rushed Ending

I'm probably writing this review way later than I finished this anime but recently, I've been searching for a lot of mystery anime to satisfy the "detective" in me. Mystery anime has always intrigued me (as it should) with their unique premises and interesting characters. Occultic Nine was one of these anime I stumbled upon. My initial thoughts of this anime was welcoming, and I was interested in what the story was; however, as the story progressed, it was evident that the anime didn't know how to conclude itself on a satisfying/logical note.


Story (7/10):
The story started off on an interesting note - a professor studying the "occult" and then a mass-suicide. The viewers are plunged into the mysteries of these events, and the viewers are kept wondering what is happening through the main characters ("The Occultic Nine"). We eventually find out the fate of most of the nine, but I found that aspect somewhat confusing. The dead can somehow communicate with the living. There were some plot twists in the story, like the revelation of the true identities of some of Occultic Nine, which I didn't expect so that's something fresh.

What really put me off was the random resolution of the "government experiments" because it was all done in less than an episode and it just had the cliche happy ending for everyone. If you want serious mystery anime, you will be disappointed by this anime's story.

Characters (7/10):
The characters are pretty generic but I really disliked one of the main characters - the squeaky voice pipsqueak. His voice was extremely annoying but then again maybe that fits his character. However, the two characters which were somewhat redeeming were Sarai and Shun. At least those two are somewhat interesting characters and I would have preferred these characters to have took the lead of the story.

Sound (7/10):
The sound are ok for a mystery anime. Voice acting for most characters are not bad. The OP is catchy so that's something good that increases one's enjoyment/hype for the anime.

Art (7/10):
Nothing spectacular. Nothing really much to say. I have to say that it's not afraid to show blood, so it's not a mystery anime like Mayoiga.

Enjoyment (7/10):
I enjoyed the anime initially and through the middle of the season because the story through these parts was extremely engaging and I was really interested to find out what was happening. However, as it neared the end of the anime, I started seeing the flaws of the anime and there were a few questions left unanswered.

Overall (7/10):
If you want a legitimately good mystery anime, this is probably not for you. It has an interesting premise but the ending really left a sour taste in my mouth. However, it's not as bad as Mayoiga, and I would say it's either an average/above-average mystery anime. There were some redeeming parts in the anime that made me engaged, so maybe it's worth watching.

If you don't have a lot of time on your hands and you want to satisfy your hunger for mystery flicks, this is probably not the best choice. There are much better anime/movies out there for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment